Tonight I was scheduled to hang artwork at a local cafe and was told I had to take a painting down because it might offend some people, specifically women and children. The painting, was not a nude painting, or portraying anything racist, religious nor political. It was a painting of me, pregnant. Now, really, who would find this offensive? -and why?
Sure, I was bearing my bare belly, but the rest of me was decent, and the composition is excellent, the technical quality good. I didn't argue with the owner of the business. Afterall, it is their place and if they don't like it, I have no argument. In fact, I was quite flattered at the idea that one of my paintings might offend people. Still, it leaves me to question exactly why pregnancy is at all offensive to a race of beings that rely on the event of pregnancy to exist.
Hm.

No comments:
Post a Comment