Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Must I Know What I'm Doing?

Does every painting have to have an outlined concept before beginning? I've started this latest one with random imagery, photographs, crop circles, abstract patterns from industrial shapes and oil refineries, but as to why and where it's going remains an adventure to be had. I'm more easily hooked on formalist ideas, composition and technique. The application of concept seems so restrictive. The images mean something to me and while I paint them the meaning becomes more apparent. In this way, the concept is a byproduct of the art process rather than the art being a product of concept.
All this banter is meaningless when you stand in front of the artwork. Does it do something for you is what really counts, whether it's a calf shot full of arrows in a vat of formaldehyde or a passionately painted depiction of religious ecstasy.


Excuse the poor lighting of the image, when it's complete I'll set up the lights properly and reshoot.

untitled unfinished, 48" x 60", oil on canvas
detail, upper left

detail

No comments: