| illegal snapshot of a Rembrandt painting (NO FLASH) |
| small model of da Vinci's design for underwater breathing apparatus and flotation device |
Today... today we went to the Leonardo da Vinci museum of inventions. He had a mind that was constantly going. Many of the inventions were made into models, some that were functional and one was allowed to activate. Next we went to the Galeria Academia. First, I must mention that I had a cappuccino today. The design in the foam looked like a heart. I drink in love, I drink in love. It was heavenly.
So, at the Galeria Academia I expected to see some Bernini, but none was there. There was a painting by Ingres that was not his best; just a boring portrait of a man in black. A ton of sculpture by Bartoloni, of which I did actually enjoy La Carita. Some average Botticellis. Then, there was the David by Michelangelo. After seeing it's image in reproduction so many times to the point of it being cliche, seeing it in person, I understood it's popularity. It is wonderful. Talk about a work formed from deep love. I stood and stared for a long time, left and came back and stared some more. I found that after a few minutes of staring, unblinking, I expected it to take a step and move aruond. I kept imagining its chest rising and falling. After seeing David, I didn't want to look at anymore artwork. I wanted David to be the last piece I saw today. Tomorrow its off to Venezia for me! What a piece of work is man...
Does art exist because of ego? If we returned to nature and shared a singular consciousness, would art have a place? Is art about the disconnection and our unconscious desire to be connected? Art is a creation of shared experience. The only thing art requires is an audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment